Friday, March 21, 2008

Goodbye Barbie Collector Magazine

Posted by thedollcafe at Friday, March 21, 2008
I recently received the last issue of the Barbie Collector Magazine. This is the magazine that replaced Barbie Bazaar magazine some time last year. You may have heard that the magazine is already folding. The fourth issue, the Spring 2008 issue is the last issue. I really think it's a shame that the magazine wasn't given enough time to develop and gain acceptance. It is true that most of the magazine was advertisements but I was really starting to enjoy the articles. The last issue did two things for me, it convinced me to buy the Haut Monde Barbie Collector Club Silkstone. The front cover picture (I know it's perfectly retouched and all) helped me to see the beauty in this doll. I'm still not liking the price tag but the club discount will help. The other thing about the magazine that I enjoyed was the article about the Steffie mold. The article discusses the history of the Steffie head sculpt and her creator Martha Armstrong Hand. In the article there is also a list of all the Steffie dolls produced. I was surprised to learn that the Steffie mold is the longest running head sculpt in Mattel's history spanning 35 years and still in production! I don't have any Steffie mold dolls prior to 2000 but now with that list, I've been stalking ebay for some of the older ones. What is amazing is the versatility of this sculpt. There are so many different types of dolls using it. Maybe I'll look for some bargains on less than perfect dolls and leave the beautiful NRFB dolls to the collectors. I'm watching one now from the 80s. I'll be sure to post if I get her!

I know I got started a little late but this was my first Steffie, the Paul Frank Barbie. She is on the Daria Celebutante body. Here is a cute close-up of her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is why I've started writing a Barbie magazine myself... It's not a replacement, but it's something new to look at. The Vinyl Idol magazine, which is a e-magazine so that EVERYONE can have it! :) It's a very low budget, as it seems clear that a high end magazine about Barbie just hasn't got enough readers. :( I'm trying my best to make it LOOK like a high end mag, but certainly it isn't.

thedollcafe on November 24, 2010 at 10:37 PM said...

It will certainly fill a void. I hope it really takes off!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

The Doll Cafe DOriginal by Ipietoon Blogger Template Designed by AdaB Design