Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Should I Buy Lady of the Unicorns??

Posted by thedollcafe at Tuesday, March 25, 2008
This is one doll I've been debating about. She is a Model Muse doll so that would be a good reason for me to get her but she is very over the top isn't she? I guess that's part of the Mackie mystique! I'm sure her packaging is going to be something else. I first heard she was going to be a Canadian exclusive, then I heard she will be offered in the US at FAO. There have been changes in her production numbers and in her price. Forum member Scott sent me a copy of the e-mail he received from MFD about Lady of the Unicorns:

Originally expected to arrive in February, the Lady of the Unicorn Barbie has now been rescheduled for a late April or early May delivery. Mattel has also increased the price from $129.99 to $149.99. The Lady of the Unicorn Barbie has some confusing history. Originally, it was to be an exclusive for Canada only with a 5,000 piece production and suggested retail of $179.99, which was later reduced to $129.99. Now it will be available in Canada , Italy and FAO Schwarz stores, the production has been decreased to only 3,500 dolls and the new price is $149.99. While this may seem sudden, the changes have actually taken place over a number of months.

I'm sure I'll end up with her in the end, but I guess the key thing is to get her before she goes off to secondary market prices. I can see this doll selling for over $200.00 once she is sold out. I'll be checking FAO daily to see if she comes up for sale. I'm on their mailing list too. I will let you know when she goes on sale.

In honor of Mr. Mackie, here is 90s Cher in the Ringmaster outfit based on a Bob Mackie design.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, she sure is a very beautiful Barbie, very fantasy-themed. But that price seems too high for me. Maybe it's my point of view, as a foreigner, but that price is ridiculous and I wouldn't pay that much for just one doll. For a lot of dolls maybe,as I did with the LOTR dolls, but not for one !

PS: actually, what happened with Mr Mackie ?He designed that mold for Pretty in Plaid and other playlines, did collectible dolls too and then disappeared?

thedollcafe on March 26, 2008 at 9:47 AM said...

Hi James: I agree. It seems that every year Mattel makes several high end collector Barbies like this one. Unfortunately the prices have just gone up so high. $149 is my tops. I didn't get The Pirate or Christabelle because they were $179 I believe. I can wait for a sale for those.

As for Mr. Mackie, he's been designing Barbie dolls pretty regularly the past several years. Last year he had the three Cher dolls, the two years prior he had the Holiday Dolls. I don't know if he still designs clothes, but he's been around. Here is a page that shows most of his dolls:
http://www.angelicdreamz.com/store/mackie.html

Helen's dollsaga on March 26, 2008 at 9:02 PM said...

compare with the Pirate Barbie, I would not think $149 is high price for this one. especially when everything is going up but US Dollar is falling. and her costumes do cost more to make it. only if the actual doll face is like the prototype, then, she is not my girl. I do not like open moused doll. Lara face is the least favored.

Anonymous said...

The concept of this doll reminds me of plenty a OOAK out there. Very fantasy and like you say very over the top. I guess it's up to you if you really like her. My opinion? I love the Unicorn and the doll looks beautiful in that promo pic. I guess the only thing I'm not too keen on is the color of her outfit. But I dont hate it either. Good luck!!

Anonymous said...

The prices do seem a little much, but I love the Lady of the Unicorn doll. I recently got it in Las Vegas in the FAO store. For me it was one of those "I have to have it." I am a huge collector of unicorn things that's why. I wish the prices would come down just a bit though on others...

Anonymous said...

I own this doll and purchased her from MFD its worth every penny and the pictures dont do her justice, its a must see in person. To me she is the best doll this year and is stunning!Wish I could afford two of them!lol! Her numbers are so limited that I think when she sells out she will go way way up.

Also BC has customer appreciation days picked up The Pirate for $95, and The Soiree for $48!

huge sale two days only other dolls on sale are interview,movie mixer,jeff gordon($6) birthstone neauties(4$) sleepytime gal, evening gala, hello kitty, E, and a bunch more plus clothes cash in on them now!lol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

The Doll Cafe DOriginal by Ipietoon Blogger Template Designed by AdaB Design