Thursday, March 20, 2008

If You Sleep, You Missed Her!

Posted by thedollcafe at Thursday, March 20, 2008
I discussed the Platinum Label Walmart exclusive Japan Barbie a few posts ago. I knew she was going to be really hard to obtain after Mattel announced that she would be Platinum Label and only available at Walmart but I didn't think I had to lose sleep over her! It seems she went online early this morning sometime after Midnight Pacific Time. By three a.m. she was sold out! So a $70 dollar doll becomes a $350 doll almost overnight! Actually, I'm not all that broken up about it. I did manage to get the foreign exclusive version of this doll so I'll live. It's hard for me to tell but it looks like the Japan Barbie has a Goddess face mold. Maybe it's just the facial screening that's different. Well, good luck to all who obtained her for themselves. For those that resell at those outrageous prices, well, that's their choice but it's sad that actual collectors don't have a chance to obtain a doll just because they had to get some sleep!

On a lighter note, I received my lot of dolls from Ebay with the nude 70s Cher! I really wanted an extra of this doll to re-dress but by the time I wanted an extra the prices had gone up so high! I got Cher in a lot with other nude MM dolls and the seller even included two extra MMs and some extra clothes including this cute dress from Modern Circle Melody. I think the dress really looks like one of the dresses that Cher used to wear in the 70s that were off the shoulder like that. I'm very happy with my new Cher. I see a lot of redressing opportunities in the future. . .
1970s Cher Barbie

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you seen actual photos of the Walmart doll? I don't think it's possible to tell from the promo whether she has a different face sculpt than the doll in pink. I'm betting it's the same.

It would have been nice if Mattel had made one version of this doll easier to get, but instead they're both difficult!

thedollcafe on March 21, 2008 at 11:23 AM said...

Hi Felicity: The only picture I've seen is one on Ebay. I posted a link to it in the post. The facial screening is different but you're right, it's probably the same face mold.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that's odd, when I first read the post I thought the $350 link also led me to the Walmart site. Maybe I just clicked wrong. :)

Anonymous said...

I didnt plan to get her. so I didnt bother to stay late. the eBay seller is very greedy, $350 has not met her Reserve. This doll doesnt appear to be pretty to me.

helen

Anonymous said...

Cher looks very pretty! Blue works well with her skin tone!

Anonymous said...

Sandra, you're right about the Walmart Japan doll having the Goddess mold. Someone on the BFC confirmed the dates.

thedollcafe on March 26, 2008 at 7:05 PM said...

Thanks for the info. That almost makes me interested in getting her. I've seen better pictures of her on bc.com and she is quite lovely and serene.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

The Doll Cafe DOriginal by Ipietoon Blogger Template Designed by AdaB Design